Thanks to everyone for their sage advice.  Although my question was somewhat
tongue-in-cheek, I appreciate the wisdom of the crowd -- and I love the term
"percussive maintenance"!

I do have a bootable Windows utilities CD which I'll use to try to scrounge
anything useful off the disk.

I wonder how many geeks carry around bootable thumb drives all the time?  I
can just see someone on an airplane undergoing a hard drive problem.  The
flight attendant asks gravely "Is there a nerd in the house?" -- and a NAG
member rushes to the rescue.

/rich

PS - Barry, my wife heads the branch library in BPS.  Stop by and say hey
sometime.  She may be looking for a new computer soon.