On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 10:20 PM, Richard Wiggins <[log in to unmask]
> wrote:

> My wife's home computer, a very kewl as of 2001 Gateway desktop-and-monitor
> PC, died today.  The hard drive is able to begin to boot Windows XP -- you
> see the logo -- so that implies that some data is loading from the disk.
> However you hear lots of seeking noises, and ultimately no finding.
>
> We probably don't have much data to salvage on it.  I find that in a cloud
> computing world, I've Gmailed just about anything of importance to her or to
> whaterver person I'm working with.
>
> Still, I would like to take one last look at the hard drive. So my question
> is, and I'm not kidding -- how hard do I hit it?  Do I pick up the unit and
> drop it?  Do I take a rubber mallet to it?  Do I gently tap it as it tries
> to boot?
>
> Reminds me of a wisecrack circa 1979 -- on a clear disk, you can seek
> forever.
>
> Thanks,
>
> /rich

I have heard that you can stick a hard drive in a freezer over the course of
a night or two and that is good enough to get them unstuck for a little
while.

I know of one or two people in real life that have done this with success.
--Ray