Personally, mySQL is a much more mature product than PostgreSQL.  While both
have been around in the OSS world about the same amount of time, MySQL has
traditionally gotten the most attention from developers of both the server
and management tools.

MySQL is a very solid product, and in my opinion, just as solid as many of
the commercial SQL engines on the market.  I actually think the tools that
are available for MySQL are far superior to those of Oracle and MS-SQL.
Tools like mySQL's QueryBrowser, SQLyog, Navicat, etc. offer lots.

PostgreSQL is an interesting beast. I like the server really well, but the
lack of tools is distracting.  With only a few admin tools that are able to
connect to the latest version, it just makes it harder to use on a
day-by-day basis.

In the Telecom Systems department, we use both for our mission-critical
systems that support campus.  Our PBX uses PostgreSQL internally with very
good results.  Our cable television system and many of our aux application
use MySQL with good results as well.  We have not run into any of the issues
that were in the OP's message (although we haven't deployed them in
situations that would utilize the newest features that they had issues
with).

-Nick Kwiatkowski
 MSU Telecom Systems

On 1/9/09 1:49 PM, "Peter J Murray" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> What's wrong with PostgreSQL?
>
> Anyone have any commentary on it? Its a decent product from what I understand.
> I think MySQL is just more popular?

Nicholas Kwiatkowski
Communication Systems Analyst
Telecommunication Systems Department
Michigan State University

Direct: 517-432-2528
Dept / Customer Service / Trouble: 517-353-5515
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]
Website: www.telecom.msu.edu <http://www.telecom.msu.edu/>