My reply is inline.

-Nick Kwiatkowski

 MSU Telecom Systems

From: MSU Network Administrators Group [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Lounds, Victor
Sent: Monday, December 22, 2008 8:21 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MSUNAG] Virtualization - IT Exchange

>Are you familiar of what it is?

YES

>Are you using virtualization in a department/college, test environment or home setting?

We have virtualized approximately 60 or so machines in production.  I also have two machines virtualized at home.

>What are the benefits of virtualization for you?

Reduced hardware, cooling, power and space (physical).  Also, better utilization of hard-drive, RAM and Processor time.

>What are the concerns of virtualization for you?

Heavier reliance on a smaller subset of hardware.  (More eggs in one basket).  Now if we have a hardware failure, it will impact multiple services rather than one.

>What implementation of virtualization are you utilizing if any?

We are using DAL-1 (bare-metal hardware virtualization by Lucent Technologies) for most of our PBX equipment (this has been in place for > 5 years).  We are also starting to do some virtualization of some of our smaller applications using VMware – these are only 5 or so machines at this time.

Your feedback is appreciated to help each other have a better understanding of what is being done out in the field, you can refer to this as a ‘roll call’ if you’d like.

VL