my bad about that and you are correct, i would contact the offending sender first.  if needed I could just add it to my personal block lists.  It just really annoys me when a local company would do something like this that appears to be unsolicited.

PS: Ken/Brian, I feel your pain having to deal with such requests for our own email system but on a much, much smaller scale :)

Stephen Bogdanski
Network Services
College of Veterinary Medicine
Michigan State University

>>> Ken Josenhans <[log in to unmask]> 12/15/2008 4:35 PM >>>
I open the mail at [log in to unmask], and I'd like to emphasize
Brian Martinez's point:

  The [log in to unmask] mailbox is for reporting incidents which
  ORIGINATE from within MSU.

See the web page at http://abuse.msu.edu  for guidelines on what
should be reported to [log in to unmask]  In particular,
  "Violations or abuse of computer or network systems belonging to
  other organizations, or under the control of Internet Service Providers
  with no connection to Michigan State University, should be reported to
  that organization's "abuse" department."

If [log in to unmask] gets a complaint about spam which originated
somewhere other than MSU, we will send a polite reply if time permits.

We do not have the resources to run a general spam complaint
service for any unwanted e-mail received at MSU from other locations.

 -- Ken Josenhans
    Network Management
    Academic Technology Services
    517-432-2935