Hi Craig,
   This is a long read, but if you go down to the testimony of Ms Terri Barnato, that is where the discussion of salmonella infection caused by the forced moult in industrial eggs begins. I am sure there is much more out there in regards to being sure hens are fed well and allowed access to sunshine (important for a source of vitamin D), a diverse omnivores diet, and the earth. Also, if you can take the time to read the whole thing, you will also gain a new understanding of the pressures put on our regulators by the "industry" to eliminate the exemption allowed for small producers(less than 3000 laying hens) selling eggs of their own production directly to the end user.
                          Cindy Dutcher

http://www.foodsafety.gov/~dms/egg0400.html

If you would like to access previous postings to the Mich-Organic listserv you can copy and paste the following URL into your browser address bar
 http://list.msu.edu/archives/mich-organic.html