Trileigh

From a UK-viewpoint, you can find some general stuff here:
http://www.gees.ac.uk/pedresfw/citfw/fetwkshp.htm

Ken McCaffrey at Durham has been doing this sort of thing for a while. A
reference to a fairly recent publication can be found here:
http://www.dur.ac.uk/earth.sciences/research/research_groups/rg_profile/?mode=pd
etail&pdetail=32421

Hope this helps
Alan

Dr. A.P. Boyle
Earth & Ocean Sciences, 4 Brownlow Street
University of Liverpool, Liverpool L69 3GP, U.K.
Tel: (0151) 794 5154;   FAX:(0151) 794 5196;    Departmental home page:
http://www.liv.ac.uk/earth

"The great tragedy of Science - the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly
fact." (Huxley, 1825 - 1895)

-----Original Message-----
From: GEOEDUCATION RESEARCH INTEREST GROUP [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
On Behalf Of Trileigh Tucker
Sent: 27 December 2008 18:55
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Technology for field labs

Hello all,

To date I've been a lurker only, but I now have a question I'd be interested
in your feedback on.

I'm considering some equipment acquisitions for my intro labs - in
particular, some electronics that might help both students'
conceptualizations in the field and the transition back to the classroom.

I had thought of some combination of GPS + tablet computer + mapping tools;
does such a combination package exist in integrated form? So ideally, we
could mark exactly where we are on the map, enter sample information, link
photos to the map sites, and preserve any explanatory sketches I make while
with the students in the field. Then these could be archived for our course
website, or emailed to students later on.

Has anyone developed or used such a system? Obviously, each component of it
could be done in good low-tech form, but less easily so the posting and
emailing.

All ideas welcome, including recommendations for particular brands and
models.

Thanks and good wishes for 2009,
Trileigh

Trileigh Tucker, Ph.D.