This is a great discussion for us to be having - First, apologies to
anyone if I get my facts a little wrong! Second: This is wordy, I know
- this topic is one I find very interesting!

Faculty with joint appointments and ability to supervise students in
multiple departments is becoming more common, but how does a student
interested in working with a joint-appointed faculty member decide
which department to join?

The lack of distinction between career paths might be true in other
disciplines, but in geosciences I would caution that this is not the
case. In the past 12 years there have been ~30 advertised geoscience
education faculty positions that were filled, and the research-
oriented ones hired PhDs in science, with a few exceptions. With only
one exception that I know of (Iris Totten - she is a petroleum
geologist with a doctorate in education), the geoscience ed RESEARCH
faculty housed in geoscience departments all hold doctoral degrees in
science. If we expand and look at faculty in non-research oriented
positions housed in geoscience departments, then we have a few more
people with doctorates in education, but not many. Of course,
background is more than just the doctorate: I held a postdoc in
science education (PhD in tectonics), and Karen McNeal's PhD is a
unique combination of biogeochem and geoscience ed research. Some
folks, like Joe Elkins, hold teaching certifications. There are a few
places (Towson University, University of Arizona, James Madison, I
think) that house science education faculty with education doctorates
in science departments, but this is not the norm. A PhD awarded by a
science department (for geocog/geoed research or other) is, for now, a
must in getting a geoed research faculty position in a GEOLOGY
department.  The National Research Council hosted a discussion in 2005
that might be of interest: http://www7.nationalacademies.org/CFE/STEM_Disciplines_Agenda.html

When we look at geoed researchers housed in EDUCATION departments, the
story is flipped. These faculty almost all hold education doctorates,
and many have requisite K-12 teaching experience (there were a couple
of dissertations written on this topic, in fact). An exception, sort
of: Heather Petcovic is tenure-home in a geology dept., earned a PhD
in petrology, and does most of her work through an interdisciplinary
institute. Her students earn MS in the disciplinary home and an
education doctorate through the Malinson Institute. I also know that
former NSF PFSMETE fellows (PhD in STEM, postdoc in science ed) were
almost all unable to move into education colleges; most (not all, of
course) who are in academia are housed in science departments or
interdisciplinary institutes. The lack of an education doctorate,
despite the postdoc, made getting a faculty position in an education
college quite difficult.

The story is more mixed for positions designed for places where
science departments conduct pre-service and in-service teacher
education. Some faculty are tenure-home in education and some are
tenure-home in geology, and the tenure-home usually reflects the
doctoral degree home.

Personally, I think having these divides inhibits the exchange of
ideas and sets up artificial barriers. Unfortunately, the realty is
that if a student wants a career in academia (not the only career
path!), then the choice of College for the doctoral degree will likely
dictate where they can get a job in the future. I hope this will
eventually change, and we can all do our part to help bring down these
barriers. For now, I want to help inform prospective students about
the choices they are going to need to be making early in their
careers. If a student is interested in teaching teachers or working in
an education college, I generally send them to colleagues in education
programs. I have even encouraged a student to work in someone else's
cognitive science program when I realized that my graduate program
might not be the best choice for the student's career plans.

Anyway, very windy, but this is a subject close to my academic-heart!

Take care and Happy Holidays,
Julie