Hello all,

To date I've been a lurker only, but I now have a question I'd be interested
in your feedback on.

I'm considering some equipment acquisitions for my intro labs - in
particular, some electronics that might help both students'
conceptualizations in the field and the transition back to the classroom.

I had thought of some combination of GPS + tablet computer + mapping tools;
does such a combination package exist in integrated form? So ideally, we
could mark exactly where we are on the map, enter sample information, link
photos to the map sites, and preserve any explanatory sketches I make while
with the students in the field. Then these could be archived for our course
website, or emailed to students later on.

Has anyone developed or used such a system? Obviously, each component of it
could be done in good low-tech form, but less easily so the posting and
emailing.

All ideas welcome, including recommendations for particular brands and
models.

Thanks and good wishes for 2009,
Trileigh

Trileigh Tucker, Ph.D.