There’s the right tool for the right job, so I suppose it depends on how the laptop will be used.

Having said that, laptops will always be (relatively) slow so I can’t imagine that the real world performance would be enough for me to really find a need for an solid state drive.  Especially now that one can get a 320GB 7200RPM Seagate for $95.