MSU Libraries has a Proquest license that includes a wide range of content.  For most of these licensed services, if you log in from inside the MSU network domain, you'll be instantly recognized as a MSU user.  If you are outside the MSU domain, you'd use the proxy server to "get inside" (which works for some licensed products but not all of them).

 - Dave Gift