On Thursday 06 November 2008 14:30:36 Al Puzzuoli wrote:
> Why or why not?
>
> I've seen a lot of contrasting reviews.  Some say that performance is
> markedly better while others point to major issues with storing outlook
> PST files, slowness do to prefetch, etc.
>
> Any opinions welcomed,
>
> Al Puzzuoli

I would not.  I have seen several systems running BSD flavors that
showed SSD systems as being slower than disk.

Now, if 128G of disk is enough for you *and you are in a high shock
environment* with your laptop, it might well be worth it.

But I am not convinced of the longer term life of these devices.
Their earlier cousins didn't last long, though they seem to have
gotten better over time.   Remember 64M and 128M flash drives
and how they could go bad after less than a year of use?

I'm also wary of other external factors such as temperature and
RF exposure.

All in all, I'd wait.  Two years from now, disks may be passe;
certainly solid state devices (like ram) have gotten huge in the
last couple years, and SSD will be just like that.  But for now I
would stick with a disk.

--STeve Andre'