From: MSU Network Administrators Group [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ehren Benson
Sent: Thursday, October 23, 2008 1:31 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MSUNAG] Screen Resolution Win2k

Hey,

This is on topic but not university related, but I found annoying.

I set up a computer for an older lady that is a friend of our family that she uses to check email once in a while and play her solitaire and majong.  She can not see very well at all so she had a 27” HD LCD TV and I had all the visual accessability features on and it was in 640x480 resolution (I think….it was whatever the largest was).  Anyway, that TV she had died and when I bought it on her behalf I got the best buy service/replacement plan on it so they gave her a new LG HD LCD TV 27”.  I got her computer hooked up to it with the DVI-HDMI cable and it posts, starts loading up windows (WIN2k) and then the tv says “invalid format”.  Of course at this point I cant do anything because I cant see the screen.

So I shut it off and hit f8 to get the boot options menu and if I  choose “VGA MODE” from the startup options it works just fine.  So there must be something  set that the TV doesn’t like.

So my question is this…is there a way to force win2k to start up in VGA MODE all the time without having to hit f8 and do all that because she cant really see well enough to know when to hit it and what to choose etc.  Or know of another way that I can somehow change whatever it is set to to an option that will work?

Thanks!

Ehren J. Benson, MCSE

Windows Systems Administrator

Department of Physics and Astronomy