Hi Chris,

The first article that comes to mind for me regarding learning in caves is one by Novey and Hall in 2007 (Carlsbad Cavern Audio tours).  It may be a good starting point.  Abstract here:
http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/113396947/abstract

Grant D. Smith
Science Education
Oregon State University