To my knowledge, a "free-busy aggregator for calendaring" isn't
included in this upgrade, is that correct?

-t

On Sep 17, 2008, at 8:55 AM, Michael Surato wrote:

> This sounds great, and was put forward for serious consideration.
> However, the needs of the University are too diverse to allow for a
> cohesive solution as this case study presents. Therefore, the
> university
> is pursing a "least common denominator" solution and leaving it up to
> the individual units to provide something else if desired. This has
> the
> advantage of customizing to the needs of the individual unit with the
> disadvantage of requiring trusts between systems for some of the items
> you have listed below. Given the correct systems are put in place
> centrally (say a free-busy aggregator for calendaring), this is a
> workable solution and can provide for most requirements the university
> is looking for. However, this will require several changes to both
> methodology and culture to make happen.
>
> In the meantime, this is a good step forward for what we have
> currently.
> --

> |            Michael Surato                 |
> |      College of Arts and Letters          |
> |      Michigan State University            |
> |            320 Linton Hall                |
> |        East Lansing, MI 48824             |
> | Voice: (517) 353-0778 Fax: (517) 355-0159 |

>> I was surprised to find this morning that a new email system has been
> announced.  Yes, I know, it’s only a new web interface but it will be
> perceived as a new email system and so we may as well acknowledge
> that.
> A part of my confusion is that I was under the impression that ATS was
> investigating the use of Microsoft Exchange for faculty and staff.  If
> that is the case then college administrators should know about this
> plan
> before deciding what to do about the new web front end to Mail.
>

> And here comes the difficult part since I don’t want to be either
> unkind or to ignore fiscal limitations, but the second part of my
> confusion is the quite frankly klunky nature of the proposed web
> interface for Mail.  I understand the problems in building an add-on
> a home brewed system, and I am not necessarily opposed to local
> development of some systems.  They have their place, but the bar has
> already been raised for email and calendaring systems and expectations
> are necessarily high.
>

> For what it is worth, I am moving towards the view that, rather than
> concede email and calendar development to Google, which this new
> interface effectively does, MSU should be aggressively seeking to
> build
> a full-fledged MSU community with real-time unified communications *
> i.e. state of the art point-of-presence, email and calendar pushing to
> iPod Touch devices (for example), Pre-filled calendar class schedules
> for students, pre-built class email lists, readily available web
> conferencing, and multi-point video conferencing between students and
> [...]

Troy Murray
Systems/Database Administrator
Michigan State University
Biomedical Research and Informatics Center (BRIC)
100 Conrad Hall
East Lansing, MI 48824
Phone: 517-432-4248
Fax: 517-353-9420