Now this (central authentication) is something that I believe that
everyone can agree on. I would love to see Shibboleth or Kerberos trusts
be used for widespread authentication. This is feasible, but will
require some resources and political will to accomplish.

Perhaps this discussion (as well as ADFuture, and EMailFuture mailing
lists) points to a very fundamental issue. That being there has not been
an effort, to my knowledge, to standardize on an IT Governance model.
This has been brought up several times (first IT Exchange keynote, SANS
when it came to Lansing to name a couple), but no action has been put
forward on this. Not everyone will agree and this will take some time,
but this should solve several issues (i.e. central authentication,
central services like e-mail, energy and space use for infrastructure,
AUP, etc.).

|            Michael Surato                 |
|      College of Arts and Letters          |
|      Michigan State University            |
|            320 Linton Hall                |
|        East Lansing, MI 48824             |
| Voice: (517) 353-0778 Fax: (517) 355-0159 |

>>> On 9/18/2008 at 1:02 PM, MSU Network Administrators Group wrote:
>
> It is safe to say that there is a lot of strong opinions about
whether the new email system interface is meeting its target.  Before
one starts to complaint or relay dissatisfaction about what’s missing
etc, it makes sense to take a timeout and try to understand what ATS is
trying to do with this upgrade.
I think we all can agree that increasing one’s mailbox and including
things like calendaring and contacts are steps in the right direction.
There may be differing opinions about the amount of additional disk
space and missing functionality of new features.   It is clear that this
new email system is significant to some departments and not significant
at all to others.  This is the nature of technology at MSU.

What if we were to spend a lot more time at figuring out what’s
really needed <not a wish list> to make life easier for students,
faculty and staff?  With that, I would end with a few questions to
trigger some thoughts:
Is it feasible for MSU to have an authenticator?  By that I mean
synchronizing MSUnet IDs with local departmental IDs for departments
with their own networks whether they use Microsoft, Novell or an open
source solution.
Why can’t I logon safely with my MSUNet ID into my departmental AD
domain and access all my resources?
Why can’t I access my departmental resources when I log into a lab
computer?

Some of these questions may or may not have immediate answers to them,
but finding answers boils down to interests & resources and that is
where the rubber hits the road!

Firmin Charlot, MCSE, A+, Information Systems Manager
Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs and Services
Educational and Support Services   162 Student Services Building   East
Lansing, MI 48824
[log in to unmask] <blocked::mailto:[log in to unmask]>  (517) 432-7541
Submit technical requests at http://help.ess.msu.edu/
<blocked::http://help.ess.msu.edu/>