That is correct. I was simply stating that it is on my wish list, and
would solve the issue of calendar sharing across disparate systems.

|            Michael Surato                 |
|      College of Arts and Letters          |
|      Michigan State University            |
|            320 Linton Hall                |
|        East Lansing, MI 48824             |
| Voice: (517) 353-0778 Fax: (517) 355-0159 |

>>> On 9/17/2008 at 9:14 AM, MSU Network Administrators Group wrote:
> To my knowledge, a "free-busy
> aggregator for calendaring" isn't included in this upgrade, is that
> correct?

-t

On Sep 17, 2008, at 8:55 AM,
> Michael Surato wrote:

This sounds great, and was put forward for serious consideration.
However, the needs of the
> University are too diverse to allow for a
cohesive solution as this
> case study presents. Therefore, the university
is pursing a "least
> common denominator" solution and leaving it up to
the individual units
> to provide something else if desired. This has the
advantage of
> customizing to the needs of the individual unit with the
disadvantage
> of requiring trusts between systems for some of the items
you have
> listed below. Given the correct systems are put in place
centrally
> (say a free-busy aggregator for calendaring), this is a
workable
> solution and can provide for most requirements the university
is
> looking for. However, this will require several changes to both

> methodology and culture to make happen.

In the meantime, this
> is a good step forward for what we have
currently.

|            Michael Surato

>      College of Arts and
> Letters          |
|      Michigan State University

>       320 Linton
> Hall                |
|        East Lansing, MI 48824

| Voice: (517) 353-0778 Fax: (517)
> 355-0159 |

On 9/17/2008 at 8:37 AM, Laurence Bates wrote:

I was surprised to find this morning that a new email system has been

announced.  Yes, I know, it’s only a new web interface but it will
be

> perceived as a new email system and so we may as well acknowledge
that.
A part of my confusion is that I was under the impression that ATS
> was
investigating the use of Microsoft Exchange for faculty and staff.
>  If
that is the case then college administrators should know
> about this plan
before deciding what to do about the new web front end
> to Mail.

And here comes the
> difficult part since I don’t want to be either
unkind or to ignore
> fiscal limitations, but the second part of my
confusion is the quite
> frankly klunky nature of the proposed web
interface for Mail.  I understand the problems in building an add-on
a home
> brewed system, and I am not necessarily opposed to local
development
> of some systems.  They have their place, but the bar has

> already been raised for email and calendaring systems and
expectations

> are necessarily high.

For what it is worth, I am moving towards the view that, rather than
concede email and
> calendar development to Google, which this new
interface effectively
> does, MSU should be aggressively seeking to build
a full-fledged MSU
> community with real-time unified communications *
i.e. state of the
> art point-of-presence, email and calendar pushing to
iPod Touch
> devices (for example), Pre-filled calendar class schedules
for
> students, pre-built class email lists, readily available web

> conferencing, and multi-point video conferencing between students
and

> faculty.

These tools are available
> today, and no, they are not cheap, but then
neither is a less than
> optimally effective and motivated student body or
> less-than-committed alumni group.  If MSU has set its goals on
becoming a world integrating community, then community building, in
> my
view, had best begin at home.

<
> http://www.wainhouse.com/files/papers/wr-case-sfsu.pdf
<http://www.wainhouse.com/files/papers/wr-case-sfsu.pdf>>

<
> http://www.wrplatinum.com/Downloads/8808.aspx
<http://www.wrplatinum.com/Downloads/8808.aspx>>

The last URL requires registration but all .msu.edu email
> addresses
have automatic access to Wainhouse Research Platinum Pro
> material until
June of 2009.

Laurence A. Bates

College of Education

Michigan State

University

217E Erickson Hall

East Lansing

MI 48824

517-355-2178

[log in to unmask] <<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>

--
Troy Murray

> Systems/Database Administrator
Michigan State University

> Biomedical Research and Informatics Center (BRIC)
100 Conrad Hall

> East Lansing, MI 48824
Phone:
> 517-432-4248