All:

Steve Anderson and I are running a workshop on SAT Oct. 4 at GSA, and we still have room for additional participants. This workshop is part of a new NSF grant geared towards revision and expansion of the Geoscience Concept Inventory. We are working towards a community effort to build a concept inventory that meets the geoscience community's assessment needs. During this workshop participants will learn to use qualitative data to write concept inventory questions, and will learn about future plans to build a GCI WebCenter for question development and student assessment. The cost is minimal ($10), and we have set aside the entire day to work with participants. A complete description is pasted below; please forward this to anyone you think may be interested.

Take care,
Julie

Julie Libarkin
Geological Sciences & Division of Science and Mathematics Education
Michigan State University

523. Writing and Evaluating Geoscience Concept Inventory Questions. Sat., 4 Oct., 9 am-5 pm Cosponsored by National Science Foundation. Julie Libarkin, Michigan State Univ.; Steven W. Anderson, Univ. of Northern Colorado. Limit: 50. Fee: US$10; includes continental breakfast. CEU: 0.7.
The Geoscience Concept Inventory, or GCI, is a valid and reliable assessment tool designed for entry-level college earth science courses. Although used widely, the GCI currently consists of only 69 validated questions and covers only a narrow range of topics relevant to the earth sciences. The geoscience community can help build assessment tools relevant to their own courses through participation in the new GCI initiative to generate a community-developed bank of GCI questions. Participants in this workshop will learn techniques for writing multiple-choice questions and will receive training in qualitative data analysis for concept inventory development.