On Sunday 24 August 2008 16:36:10 Jeanne Carey wrote:
> All,
> I have a Trojan on a XP machine, however it doesn't appear to be removed
> with NOD32.
>
> Suggestions on the best way to remove this from my clients computer.
>
> Thanks  Jeanne

First, do you have the latest version of NOD32?  3.0.672 is out.  In my
experience each version is better than the last, so make sure thats
on and see what that does.

If its still there, I would have to say that these days, scrubbing the
machine is your best option.  There are too many smart viri out there
which appear to dissapear, only to come back.  I once decided to get
into a firefight with a virus that spewed email on a department
machine.  I succeeded in killing its smtp engine but it still periodically
flopped around creating thousands of .tmp files, of the mail to be
sent.  I finally got rid of the damed thing, but all in all it took me
*39* hours of rooting around to figure out what was going on.  Was
it worth it?  Well, I spared my department chair the job of rebuilding
this machine, but at the cost of my not doing other things.  Had this
been a more intelligent beast, I'm not sure I could have won.

You can look at the Symantec and Eset virus removal tools, but I'd
be very careful in trusting them.  I mean, how do you know you
haven't made it dormant and not killed it?

Depressing, I agree.

--STeve Andre'
Political Science