Last night's newsletter included an item on a anemometer loan program to
help farmers determine if their land might be suitable for wind power.  I
have made a few calls this morning, and have since gathered a little more
information:

 - The Michigan Department of Labor and Economic Growth has some maps
depicting the wind density and speed at different heights throughout
Michigan.  Although you certainly have sense for whether your land is windy
or not, the maps are interesting and may help you get a better idea of
average wind speeds in your area.  See the maps at
http://www.michigan.gov/dleg/0,1607,7-154-25676_25774-101765--,00.html

 - Here's a guide for establishing a small wind electric system. It outlines
some financial aspects of setting up your own wind turbines, helps you
evaluate how high your turbine should be, provides contacts for installation
and maintainance support, etc.  It can be found at:
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/CIS_EO_Small_Wind_Guide_124217_7.pdf

 - Finally, a link that I provided you last night (the one leading to an
application for the anemometer loan program) seems to be no longer working.
After a phone call, I learned that the new link is:
http://miwind.info

As well as providing the application form, this above website seems to be a
GREAT resource for someone considering using wind power on their land.

Enjoy!
Kate

If you would like to access previous postings to the Mich-Organic listserv you can copy and paste the following URL into your browser address bar
 http://list.msu.edu/archives/mich-organic.html