Hello all,

Please excuse any multiple postings, and consider submitting to one of two

Fall AGU sessions on teaching introductory geoscience:
ED09: Teaching Introductory Geoscience in the 21st Century
ED08: Making Introductory-Level Science Courses Interesting and Relevant - Best Practices

The 2008 Fall AGU meeting will be held in San Francisco, CA, December 15-19, 2008. More information can be found at http://www.agu.org/meetings/fm08/index.php/Main/HomePage

****The abstract submission deadline is September 10 *****

After the abstract submission deadline, we will combine these two sessions into one, entitled:
Teaching Introductory Geoscience: Staying Relevant in the 21st Century

Session description:
Introductory geoscience courses are the main venue both for recruiting students into our majors and for educating a much broader audience about the Earth and the process of science. As such, these broad survey courses deserve more attention. Over the past few decades, our understanding of how people learn has improved dramatically. Likewise, the geosciences have expanded rapidly, and now cover a wide variety of research areas, tools, and techniques. It is critical, therefore, that our introductory courses incorporate our best practices from the educational research and give an up-to-date picture of the state of our science. Building on the 2008 Cutting Edge workshop “Teaching Introductory Geoscience in the 21st Century”, this session is intended to provide opportunities for the geoscience community to present research about instructional techniques that enhance student learning in introductory geoscience courses. Possible topics include:

-     successful methods for reaching students in large classes
-     successful innovations in instructional materials, laboratory and field exercises, including the use of technology
-      successful innovations in courses and curricula, including incorporating current issues, indigenous knowledge, controversial topics, research projects, service learning, and local environments
-      research-based approaches to assessment;
-      successful methods for engaging new student audiences, such as pre-service teachers, under-represented groups, and students with special needs, such English language learners
-      successful methods for teaching cross-curricular skills such as quantitative literacy, critical thinking, reading, and communication
-      research on student misconceptions and alternative conceptions
-      Methods for teaching the process of science, including scientific questioning, gathering evidence, formulating and evaluating explanations
-      Working with teaching assistants and multiple instructors, including integrating lecture and lab
-      And many other possibilities

We welcome contributions that describe innovations in introductory courses in all disciplines, including physical and historical geology, geophysics, oceanography, atmospheric and climate science, global change, earth system science, natural hazards, and topical courses. AGU makes an exception to their policy of one contributed abstract and allows submission of one additional contributed, first authored abstract made to an Education (ED) session.  Feel free to contact any of the conveners with questions. We look forward to seeing your submissions!

Please feel free to forward this e-mail to colleagues who might be interested in presenting work they have done with introductory geoscience courses.

Conveners:
Rachel Teasdale
California State University, Chico
Department of Geological & Environmental Sciences
  California State University, Chico
Chico, CA, USA  95929-0205
5308985547

Jennifer M. Wenner
University of Wisconsin Oshkosh
Department of Geology
  800 Algoma Boulevard
Oshkosh, WI, USA  54901-8649
9204247003

Anne E. Egger
Stanford University
Department of Geological & Environmental Sciences
  450 Serra Mall, Bldg 320
Stanford, CA, USA  94305-2115
6507240984

Patricia Cooper
School of Ocean & Earth Science & Technology
1680 East-West Rd., POST 802
Honolulu, HI, USA  96822
8089569513