From: MSU Network Administrators Group [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Kim Geiger
Sent: Tuesday, July 29, 2008 11:39 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MSUNAG] Help with mail problem

I wonder if anyone has any thoughts on a problem we experienced
yesterday.

Mail sent from the Governor's office never arrived.  Um, yes, that's a
little bit of a big deal....

And, as I write, another user informs me that a sender at the Michigan
Public Service Commission got a nondeliverable bouncer from her mail
server when she tried to mail here.  I might be wrong, but I don't think
the Gov.'s office got anything back at all.

My mail server is running GroupWise 7.0.3. Logs show that quite a few
other items from michigan.gov were received here yesterday, so it's not
a matter of not accepting mail from that domain or anything.  Nor was
any of it trapped in our spam filter.

Is it possible that the issue with the IPS yesterday afternoon stopped
some mail at the campus border?  It's hard to diagnose a non-delivery
situation when nothing appears in my logs.  I can provide relevant
addresses/ip numbers if that would help turn up an event in another
system log on campus.

If you have other suggestions, I'd love to hear them.  Thanks.
--

Kim Geiger
Information Technologist