Surviving legal challenges and political challenges are different. I do not see what is illegal about this law. We regulate many other professions, why not computer technicians. However, from a practical matter, and as you say political matter, I do not see this law lasting very long. It will either be unenforced, or removed as law by the legislature.

|            Michael Surato                 |
|      College of Arts and Letters          |
|      Michigan State University            |
|            320 Linton Hall                |
|        East Lansing, MI 48824             |
| Voice: (517) 353-0778 Fax: (517) 355-0159 |

>>> On 7/2/2008 at 1:10 PM, MSU Network Administrators Group wrote:
> I kid you not,

> http://www.ij.org/first_amendment/tx_computer_repair/6_26_08pr.html <http://www.ij.org/first_amendment/tx_computer_repair/6_26_08pr.html>

From what I've
> read, the Texas law enacted in 2007 places fines and criminal penalties for
> anyone working on a computer who conducts "and investigation" on that
> computer without a valid Private Investigator's license.  Their
> definition of what constittutes an investigation is so broad that common
> diagnostic tasks could fall into the definition of an investigation.  Not only is the repair technician subject to fines and criminal
> penalties, but the computer OWNER is also subject to the same charges for
> knowingly using an unlicensed technician.

There is at least one group
> challenging the law in court, so it will be interesting to see what comes of this in the long run.  Considering the EDS has offices and a major call center in Plano, Texas, and that they do
> phone support for PC issues to many of their Fortune 100 customers, I don't
> expect this law to survive a legal challenge.  But, that's just my
> opinion, I've been wrong before.

> John A. Resotko
Head of Systems Administration
Michigan