I'm not the best source of technical advice on this (and will count on
someone more expert jumping in), but I know that our IPS will sometimes trap
certain types of mail messages with subject lines or other header
information that are too long (or something close to that explanation;
blocking apparent buffer overflow exploits).  This has been the reason that
we've observed mail from the same source sometimes getting through and
sometimes not on the same day.  Another thing to check on.