From: GEOEDUCATION RESEARCH INTEREST GROUP [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Van Norden, Wendy
Sent: Thursday, June 05, 2008 3:59 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: teacher prep and high school earth science programs

I have, with the help of NSF and UCLA, initiated a high school geology course for which my students receive credit at UCLA.  It is a rigorous course which contains the UCLA ESS1F course within it and it has been successful in drawing some of the better science students away from the all-powerful APs and having what is usually their first introduction to the Earth Sciences.   I am now giving workshops to teachers, hoping to inspire them to initiate a rigorous earth science or geology course in collaboration with a local university.

Does anyone in this group have any suggestions as to how I can better get the word out to the larger community? For example, I would love people who teach teacher prep courses to let teachers  know that there is a model out there for a successful high-level earth science course.  I would also love to have university faculty initiate conversations with their local high school science teachers.

Wendy Van Norden

Harvard-Westlake School

No. Hollywood, CA 96604

818 487-6665