From: Jen O'Keefe <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Thursday, June 5, 2008 1:20:21 PM
Subject: Re: Geoscience Education Research Info Request

Hi all,

I absolutely agree that we need to get more good earth and space science into elementary school.  We see the same problem in our area ( Kentucky ) that Jenelle does in Nevada , but with a bit of a twist:  the elementary and middle school TEACHERS don’t know their earth/space science content well.  I’ve spent the last three years teaching a new course at Morehead State in inquiry earth and space science for future elementary teachers, which is helping to solve the problem.  This is not happening nearly quickly enough, in part because the first full cohort of freshmen to take the course will just now be student teaching next year.  Workshops to date have not been sufficient to address the problem among practicing teachers, as there is, in general, little administrative support for science workshops for elementary teachers: NCLB seems to be driving math and reading to the extreme.

Part of the problem is cultural in Eastern Kentucky .  Earth and Space sciences teach things that the more conservative in our area consider to be wrong at best and heretical at worst.  I have been asked several times why I don’t teach my class “real science,” like they do at the creationist museum in northern Kentucky …

The second issue we ought to consider in geoscience education research is best practices for teaching the geosciences.  I have used the full spectrum of inquiry in my class for future elementary teachers:  based on anecdotal evidence and as-yet-not-fully-analyzed pre- and post- data, I would suggest that only guided inquiry has been effective in motivating student learning and attitude improvement toward the discipline.  Are we finding the same thing in the K-12 classroom?

Best wishes,

Jen

Jen O’Keefe
Assistant Professor of Science