The Rules and Regulations for the Market are attached.  Since the Market will be at such a large venue, it is our goal to be in compliance with all applicable local, state, and federal ordinances, laws, rules and regulations.  After doing some research and contacting several state agencies, I believe I understand the applicable laws and rules.  A quick summary of the applicable laws and rules is contained below.  If I am incorrect, please let me know.  If an individual is not sure if he or she is in compliance, we will assist you in obtaining the needed information.  If you are interested in becoming a vendor, please mail and fax the application as instructed on the application.  If you have any additional questions, please email me or call me at (734) 926-1206.

David Brown

Vendors selling whole and uncut fresh fruits and vegetables do not need to be licensed to sell at a Farmersí Market.

If the Vendor is selling prepared food (baked goods for example) and the food is: 1) prepared and packaged for sale in an approved and inspected kitchen, 2) transported directly from the kitchen to the Farmersí Market by the Vendor or the Vendorís employees, and 3) sold by the Vendor or the Vendorís employees, the Vendor does not need to be licensed to sell at a Farmersí Market.

Honey and Maple Syrup
Vendors selling prepackaged honey and/or maple syrup do not need to be licensed to sell at a Farmersí Market if the Vendor is the producer of the honey and/or maple syrup and the processing facility is licensed under Michigan Law.

Vendors selling meat must have the meat processed at a USDA inspected facility and must be licensed to handle the meat after it is processed.  After the meat is processed: 1) a USDA inspection sticker must be placed on each meat package, 2) the meat must be either frozen or refrigerated, 3) if the meat is refrigerated, it must be kept at or below 41į Fahrenheit at all times and marked with a last date of sale.

Vendors selling hardy plants must be licensed as either a grower or a dealer.  If the Vendor is a grower, their facility must be inspected as required by Michigan Law.  Vendors selling annuals do not need to be licensed to sell plants at a Farmersí Market.

Join Excite! -
The most personalized portal on the Web!

If you would like to access previous postings to the Mich-Organic listserv you can copy and paste the following URL into your browser address bar