-----Original Message-----
From: Cardona, Ana (MDE)
Sent: Friday, May 09, 2008 3:53 PM
To: Martell, Pam (DLEG); Redmond, Rudy (DLEG)
Subject: FYI: ArtsEdNews: Announcing the ILS/UND publication of "Toward
the Preservation of a Heritage: Latin American and Latino Art in the
Midwestern United States

ArtsEdNews: Announcing the Institute of Latino Studies, University of
Notre Dame publication of "Toward the Preservation of a Heritage: Latin
American and Latino Art in the Midwestern United States"

It's with great pleasure that we share this publication, "Toward the
Preservation of a Heritage: Latin American and Latino Art in the
Midwestern United States," a critical work in the documentation and
scholarship on Latino art in Michigan and the Midwest.

Congratulations to Olga U. Herrera, the publication's author, and to
Tracy Grimm, Archivist and Project Director, friends and colleagues many
of us have had the pleasure of working with over the past few years.

Whether it is an exhibit of Carlos Lopez at the Scarab Club in 1941, the
publications of the Raza Art and Media Collective in Ann Arbor during
the 1970's, or exhibits at Casa de Unidad through 2001- all are
referenced. And, if you know of an exhibit that was not included, the
website gives you an opportunity to add what you know.

Take the time to review the attachment or use the interactive version
<http://www.midlad.org:8084/exhibitions.php>  of the publication to
browse/search the exhibition lists.

You can also join the discussion
<http://www.ilsred.com:8085/list.php?35>  on the development of Latin
American and Latino arts in the Midwest at the website:
http://www.midlad.org:8084/chronology.php

Ana Luisa Cardona

Toward the Preservation of a Heritage: Latin American and Latino Art in
the Midwestern United States by Olga U. Herrera is the initial
publication of a multi-year project to advance the preservation of and
increase access to primary source materials that document twentieth- and
twenty-first century Latin American and Latino arts in the Midwestern
United States.

As a general overview, the publication does not claim to be a
comprehensive in-depth study but rather, provides a critical foundation
for the exploration of the rich history of this art activity as well as
for archivists and librarians seeking collections that document this
history. The publication looks at a series of events, artists, and
organizations that have had a role in the development, promotion, and
establishment of Latin American and Latino art in the states of
Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri,
Nebraska, Ohio, and Wisconsin.

We hope to raise new questions, stimulate debates, and encourage new
scholarship in this important aspect of American art history and
American heritage to further advance this emerging field of inquiry.
This publication is part of the larger "Midwest Latino Arts Documentary
Heritage Project (MidLAD).

The Midwest Latino Arts Documentary Heritage Project (MidLAD)

http://www.midlad.org:8084/index.php

The Midwest Latino Arts Documentary Heritage Project (MidLAD), is an
ongoing, multi-year initiative to locate and preserve primary sources
critical to the study of the history of Latino arts and to the
understanding of its contribution to American culture and to our
communities.

With support from The Getty Foundation, this project was developed to
help ensure that important primary sources that document Latino art
history, culture, and American society are not lost. To that end, a
series of summit meetings are held throughout the Midwest region with
artists and arts leaders to gather input on the history of Latino arts
and the location of private collections of papers that document this
history.

Following the summits, preliminary surveys of the papers of artists and
arts organizations are conducted with the goal of creating an inventory
of collections. Simultaneously, a survey of the collecting policies of
libraries and archives is also conducted so that potential donors can be
aware of candidate repositories for their materials.

Preservation education is also a critical element of this project and is
conducted through preservation workshops and the distribution of
information about good records management and how to make the decision
to donate your personal or family papers.

 While the Institute for Latino Studies' Julian Samora Library has a
growing collection of Midwest artists' archives and is very interested
in collecting these materials (the ILS Library collects personal papers
as well as duplicates or copies for its Midwest Artists Vertical Files),
we adhere to a cooperative collecting philosophy. That is, our priority
is to ensure that potential donors find a home for their materials that
is the most appropriate match for them and, equally importantly, a home
that will make their papers accessible to their most immediate audience.

MidLAD is an interactive resource on Latino arts in the Midwestern
United States for students, scholars, artists, curators, arts
administrators, librarians, and archivists. We seek to build a
foundational resource on this topic by sharing our research and
encouraging community input to expand our research tools to add
important information on artists, arts organizations, and exhibitions
that we have not encountered to-date.

Scholars, Students, and Curators will find:

*	A Research Guide <http://latinostudies.nd.edu/archives/guide/>
to finding and using Latino arts primary sources
*	A chronological overview
<http://www.midlad.org:8084/chronology.php>  of Latino arts in the
Midwest during the 20th century with a selected bibliography and
exhibition lists: Toward the Preservation of a Heritage: Latino Art in
the Midwestern United States
*	On-line oral history interviews
<http://latinostudies.nd.edu/history>  with Latino artists and arts
leaders
*	A directory <http://www.midlad.org:8084/repository.php>  to
primary source collections on Latino arts in the Midwest

Artists and Arts Organizations will find:

*	Information on preservation and management of your files and
papers (forthcoming)
*	A directory <http://www.midlad.org:8084/repository.php>  to
libraries and archives that collect Latino arts materials
*	A guide to donating your personal or family papers (forthcoming)

*	An opportunity to become a MidLAD participant
<http://www.midlad.org:8084/repository.php>  by listing your papers

 Librarians and Archivists will find:

*	An opportunity to participate in MidLAD
<http://www.midlad.org:8084/repository.php>  by contributing your
collecting policy & collections summary so that potential donors may
learn more about your repository
*	A collection development resource
<http://www.midlad.org:8084/chronology.php>  that provides a history of
Latino artists, arts organizations, and exhibitions in the Midwest
throughout the 20th Century
*	A directory to primary sources
<http://www.midlad.org:8084/repository.php>  with field survey results
to assist researchers in locating collections as well as librarians and
archivists interested in collecting for their institutions

On the website the project team shares its findings and research to
date. It will be updated with new information and survey results as we
can make them available. We welcome your input and submissions of any
kind that will help us further document this history and preserve it for
future generations. We also extend a sincere thank you to the artists,
art historians, and arts organizations that have contributed to our work
thus far.

Tracy Grimm,
Archivist and Project Director
Institute for Latino Studies