Hi Glenn,
I'm not sure what you're looking for exactly in terms of student
opportunities... but I did want to tell you after your last email
about Modeling Physics. It's a program based out of Arizona State
University... lots and lots of physics research supports the idea of
using models to teach physics. I took a three week summer class there
two years ago on Modeling Mechanics and have been teaching physics
with the modeling method for the last two years. It is phenomenal how
my students' understanding of mechanics has changed as a result.
There is an entire physics curriculum based on the modeling method.
In more recent years, a chemistry modeling curriculum has been
developed. And there are a few prototypes for modeling biology and
geology in the works by teachers who have modeled physics and also
teach earth science.
For more info, go here: http://modeling.asu.edu/
For access to the earth science modeling materials, you need to get
into the participant resources, so you'll have to ask Jane Jackson
(her contact info is at the bottom of the web page I listed) for
special permission. Tell her why--if you're looking for a project for
your graduate research, perhaps collaborating with the creator of the
earth science modeling materials would be an excellent start.

After my post to this list about ideas for books to use next year, I
ultimately decided that my main curricular materials for my high
school geology class will be these earth science modeling materials,
as they are most consistent with how I like to teach ALL of my classes.

I hope this helps.

Aloha,
Buffy Cushman-Patz
La Pietra Hawaii School for Girls