Here is a e-mail that went out late last week to the Deans, Directors and Chairs. We realize that we should have sent this out to you in advance of the mailing, please accept our apology for the delay.

Debbie

-----Original Message-----
From: David A Gift [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, March 21, 2008 2:15 PM
To: DeanDirectorChair List
Subject: Fraudulent e-mail notices

TO:		Deans, Directors, and Chairs

This note posted by Dave Gift on behalf of the ACNS E-Mail team.  Please
share with your units.

FROM:		Mike Bosko, on behalf of MSU’s ACNS E-mail Systems

DATE:		March 21, 2008

SUBJECT:	Fraudulent E-mail Notice

Earlier today Michigan State University (MSU) e-mail was the target of a
"Phishing" attack. This is when a fraudulent e-mail is sent in an attempt to
collect personal information from the recipient. In this instance, MSU
students, faculty, and staff may have received an e-mail that claims the
“MSU Support Team” has “instigated a system wide security audit to
improve and enhance our current security.” It asks you to “confirm your
user name and password.”  PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND IF YOU RECEIVE THIS
E-MAIL.

Be assured that our data was not compromised in any way. The e-mail
addresses used could have been gathered from publicly available places such
as the MSU faculty/staff and student directories.

Although we cannot prevent being targeted by a phishing attack, we are using
all our resources to immediately notify those affected of the situation and
mitigate any further risk.

Please remember, the ACNS e-mail team at Michigan State University will
never send an e-mail requesting personal information.

People should be suspicious anytime they are asked by e-mail for personal
information, especially if they did not initiate the contact.

If you, or someone you know, believe you have responded to a phishing
attack, contact MSU’s ACNS Help Desk immediately at (517) 432-6200 or send
an e-mail to [log in to unmask] To learn more about phishing, read knowledge base
article number 4194 at help.msu.edu.

Mike Bosko, Assistant Director
Academic Computing and Network Services