There are actually a few schools that are using IPTV as their only
distribution method of television to residents. Most of those residents
are happy to get it, however, those schools never had television for the
residence halls before.  Northwestern is doing this with a non-standards
based product called Video Furnace.

Other schools are experimenting with IPTV across their network.  Many
are sending only sending a few channels across their network.  The only
school that has a large offering of IPTV is Wisconsin, who has a few
local channels encoded using Quicktime.

Our department is investigating sending some data across our network,
but we are treading very cautiously.  There are a few great products
that we are experimenting with (like some of the encoders that Motorola
and EGT are demoing for us right now) that allows for multicast, double
pass H.264 encoded streaming.  Our problem is that Multicast isn't very
prevalent in our network at the moment.  We also have to watch some of
the bottle-necks at the larger-use cases out there (dorms).  A typical
SD stream at full resolution is about 1MB/s using H.264, and a full HD
stream is in the upwards of 12MB/s stream per channel.  I have a sample
Flash Media Server which is serving three channels that is working over
multicast in the Telecom building, and the quality is good.  During our
next Cable TV meeting, I will probably be demoing this to the group.

One issue that is being brought up by all the players in the Internet2
community is licensing.  Almost every content provider has a provision
in their contract that explicitly denies us from providing any IPTV
solutions.  In fact, even the Big Ten Network's contract (which was
signed through the Fox Sports Network) disallows us from broadcasting
their signal on our data networks.   Most schools that are doing IPTV
tests are flying under the radar, and are running against their
licensing agreement with their content providers.  Schools that are
using products like Video Furnace are OK, as their products have built
in DRM (via a dongle that must be plugged into the laptop/pc) that
allows Video Furnace to track the usage.

The contract that we are negotiating with Comcast right now won't allow
us to do any large-scale IPTV deployments without additional penalties.
The TOS that we would have to sign to allow us to do IPTV pretty much
says that I would have to pay our commercial content rate PER ETHERNET
OUTLET (this would be in addition to the 13,000 cable outlets we already
pay for).

All in all, it is something that we are investigating, however, since we
have a very strong offering via our coax network, I don't know how fast
that deployment will happen.   Maybe when the 10gig project is done :-)

-Nick Kwiatkowski

 MSU Telecom Systems