Esther,

Thanks for the article.  It sheds light on some of the sources of the problem and in some ways it helps us to develop effective solutions.

There are all kinds of solutions that can be implemented to disable USB ports but would they address the root cause of the problem?  What about malicious websites, infected DVDs and even floppies for computers that still have them?

What we have done is remove admin rights from desktops (most laptops are exempt) but setup a system that’s flexible enough to allow for quick privileges escalation when needed.  Taking away admin rights was not easy but there was a very significant drop in infected computers which gave us time to work on other important aspects of our jobs.

For what its worth, I am running my computer as a regular domain user and therefore if I were to plug in a device that’s infected, my computer would be protected (hopefully).  I will also be protected if I landed on a compromised website by accident.

I am curious to find out what others do with new machines.  Do you keep the installations from the factory or do you rebuild from your own in-house computer image?

Firmin Charlot, MCSE, A+, Information Systems Manager
Educational and Support Services   162 Student Services Building   East Lansing, MI 48824
[log in to unmask]  (517) 432-7541
Submit technical requests at
http://help.ess.msu.edu/