I've been running m0n0wall on an old desktop tower that was bouncing
around the office since the holidays.  It was pretty easy to configure
and has performed flawlessly in front of five servers.  M0n0wall is a
freebsd-based firewall distribution.  The only hardware requirement to
speak of was that the best supported gigabit cards were Intel
so-and-so's.  (It's in the documentation somewhere under supported
hardware... they were $40 each at GovConnection).  The better the
hardware you throw at it, the better it performs, obviously.  Rather
than putting together your own hardware (which I did for such a small
load) you might consider purchasing one of the boxes dedicated for this
purpose.  Again, they discuss it in the excellent documentation
(http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/).

If you have specific questions regarding m0n0wall let me know and I'll
try and answer them, though I am no expert.

Brian Hoort

--
Troy Murray
Developer