For additional information, contact:

Alison Costello

313-579-2100 ext. 205

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CAPUCHIN SOUP KITCHEN’S EARTH DAY COMMERATION HONORS LOCAL, SEASONAL, ORGANIC FOODS

Detroit, MI (March 11, 2008) … The Capuchin  Soup Kitchen and its urban garden ministry, Earth Works,  will be commemorating Earth Day, April 22, 6-8 pm, with a dinner featuring local foods.  The dinner will be held at the Capuchin Soup Kitchen, 1264 Meldrum, Detroit.

Speakers include Jeremy Moghtader of the Food System Economic Partnership (FSEP) and Michigan State University Student Organic Farm.  He will discuss FSEP’s Farm to School program which brings local foods to Michigan school cafeterias.

Sister Liz Walters will discuss the Immaculate Heart of Mary Order’s newly “greened” Motherhouse and establishment of their organic farm.  Earth Works’ own Youth Farm Stand youth farmers will also be at the dinner to talk about the importance of fresh food in their community.

“There are many initiatives to increase local food access in Southeast Michigan communities,” Capuchin Soup Kitchen chef Allison Costello explains.   “As lives get busier, people look at food as fuel rather than being an event to be savored and enjoyed.  The Capuchin Soup Kitchen and its Earth Works garden believe that bringing awareness to what we eat and the impact of food on our society imbues the dining experience with a sense of joy and community.”

The Capuchin Soup Kitchen’s Earth Works urban garden yields over 6,000 pounds of produce each season from its three city garden sites and two greenhouses.

“Earth Works restores our community’s connection to the environment through gardening,” Costello continues.  “As a movement promoting local foods continues to build nationally, we are inspired by what is happening locally.  Food is at the heart of our work at the soup kitchen  and Earth Day is the perfect opportunity to showcase and share with each other the importance of our local food system.”

Dinner tickets are $45 per person.  The meal will feature delicious dishes prepared with all local foods.  A gift basket raffle featuring Earth Works products, such as honey, jam, granola, and dog biscuits will also be part of the evening.  Advance purchase of tickets is necessary.  Please call 313-579-2100, ext 204 to purchase tickets by phone.

Founded in 1929, the Capuchin Soup Kitchen serves Metro Detroit by providing food, clothing, and spiritual counsel to those in need.  Frequently preparing and serving 2,000 meals a day, the Capuchin Soup Kitchen also distributes household items and operates a shower program, food pantry, and children’s tutoring and art therapy program. Additionally, its Earth Works urban garden produces 6,000 pounds of vegetables for Detroit’s hungry, and educates the community in regards to sustainable relationships between human beings and the earth.  www.cskdetroit.org

                                                            ###

If you would like to access a searchable archive of the all the previous Mich-Organic listserv postings copy this URL and paste in your browser address field http://list.msu.edu/archives/mich-organic.html