Tom I have worked at NASA Goddard and the geodynamic unit is an excellent source of information, one of the staff is Dr. Paul Lowman he is the best geologist there (I worked under him on a Faculty fellowship) here is the website for the geodynamic branch I hope this helps you good luck Tibi Marin in North Dakota

http://denali.gsfc.nasa.gov/

Click on the right side- geomagnetism I for sure like NASA Goddard website and what has offer to us professors and scientists send me an email if you like the website and I can put you in contact with some people there

Have a great day

Tibi Marin

"Today the human race is a single twig on the tree of life, a single species on a single planet. Our condition can thus only be described as extremely fragile, endangered by forces of nature currently beyond our control, our own mistakes, and other branches of the wildly blossoming tree itself. Looked at this way, we can then pose the question of the future of humanity on Earth, in the solar system, and in the galaxy from the standpoint of both evolutionary biology and human nature. The conclusion is straightforward: Our choice is to grow, branch, spread and develop, or stagnate and die."
Robert Zubrin, Entering Space, 1999