One site I would suggest visiting is Nova's "Magnetic Storm" site at PBS
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/magnetic/

This is the website companion to a 50-minute Nova epsiode that aired
approximately 3-4 years ago.  I think the video is excellent.  The main
topic is magnetic reversals and the supporting evidence, but it also
includes some information and visuals of how the magnetic field protects
Earth.  I don't think, however, that it has much information on declination.

Grant D. Smith
Western Oregon University - Earth Science Instructor
Oregon State University - PhD student in science education