    Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 12:31:02 -0600
    From: Stuart Birnbaum <[log in to unmask]>
    Subject: Re: good visualizations of the Earth's
    magnetic field?
    To: [log in to unmask]

    Cry.  Definitely cry.

    Stuart
    Birnbaum
    Department of Geological Sciences

    University of
    Texas at San Antonio
    One UTSA Circle
    San Antonio, TX
    78249-0663
    210-458-5449 (voice)
    210-458-4469
    (fax)

    From: GEOEDUCATION RESEARCH INTEREST GROUP
    [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of
    Bhattacharyya,
    Juk
    Sent: Wednesday, March 05, 2008 9:51 AM
    To:
    Subject: Re: good visualizations of the
    Earth's magnetic field?

    I was following the
    informative discussion on the listserv today
    morning when one of my
    undergraduate teaching assistants dropped by...
    someone in her physics class
    asked the prof. a question about geomagnetic
    reversal, and the professor
    responded that “there is no evidence of the
    earth’s magnetic field ever
    switching.”  My student did not know whether to
    laugh or to cry... and at
    this point I don’t know either.  What makes
    matters worse is that this
    physics professor is a “magnet guy” so his
    opinions will be taken at face value
    in this particular respect.

    This professor
    doesn’t believe in evolution as well... somehow
    that doesn’t surprise me.
     I only hope all these visualization resources
    will help me counter this
    misconception when these students enroll in my
    intro geology
    course.

    Sigh

    juk

    “It
    is precisely for this that I love geology.  It is
    infinite and ill-defined:
    like poetry, it immerses itself in mysteries and
    floats among them without
    drowning.  It does not manage to lay bare the
    unknown, but it flaps the
    surrounding veils to and fro, and every so often
    gleams of light escape and
    dazzle one’s vision.”

    R.
    Töpffer, Nouvelles genevoises (1841)