Ray,

Your assessment is not entirely fair.  The older version of the client that you are using had very limited support for iCal.  The version of GroupWise that we have on our servers (and the client on our department's desktop) provides full iCal support.  Additionally, in the near future, you will be able to publish and subscribe calendars (including your own personal calendars) along with free/busy information.

And NO, you are NOT "locked" into using the GroupWise client in order to use your GroupWise account.  Other clients will work just fine.  Our department supports only the use of the GroupWise client because of support issues; that doesn't mean that other clients will not work with GroupWise.

For years, Novell has been providing products that adhere to open standards and operate on multiple platforms.  For instance, Novell GroupWise can operate on Linux and Windows servers as well as NetWare servers.  How many other email solutions do?  Novell products should at least be considered when investigating solutions no matter what environment(s) you manage.

...John

(Scott - our Breslin server has been online for over 354 days and the Kellogg server for a mere 218 days.)

>>> Ray Hernandez <[log in to unmask]> 2/27/2008 4:02 PM >>>
As a Groupwise(GW) user, I think it is just OK. Groupwise doesn't
seem to support caldav. This is annoying to me because the biggest
thing I use GW for is email and calendaring. It locks me into using
the GW client.

While the GW web client is, to me, preferable to using the desktop
client. I find it lacking in customization. If we are serious about
adhering to open standards, as I think we should, I don't see that GW
offers us much more than Outlook/Exchange.

I don't think GW is a bad piece of software, but it could be better.
--Ray