I've seen it many years ago, but the quality of the JetDirect cards
and their TCP/IP stacks have improved since then.  If it is happening
to a number of different printers, it could likely be related to
network traffic.  Most of these stacks are single threaded and bomb
out if they come across traffic that the firmware can't
process/handle.

Some recommendations:

- Upgrade the firmware to the most recent version on all JetDirect cards

- Disable unused protocols, i.e. DLC, AppleTalk, Netware, FTP, HTTP,
etc.  Just make sure you actually don't use them.

- Limit IP access to the systems that need to communicate directly to
the JetDirect card.

- Check the traffic on the printer's network segment for anomalies and
find a way to prevent it.

Hope this helps,
dpk