Hi geoscied researchers,

A bit of advance notice: I’ve just heard that our proposed session on Geocognition has been accepted for the 2008 GSA Fall Meeting. It will be Topical Session Number 179 and the deadline for abstracts is 3rd June. An outline of the session is given below.

Outline Description

Our comprehension of how students acquire knowledge, skills and understanding about the Earth, and thus progress to becoming expert geoscientists, is limited.  This session will present findings from empirical research into how geoscience students learn.

Rationale

The profile of geoscience education is rising.  This was clearly evidenced by the increased demand for technical sessions at the 2007 GSA meeting, and through the provision of short courses and educator receptions.  In addition graduate, post-doctoral, and tenure-track positions with a geoscience education remit are becoming increasingly available at US universities and colleges.  In response to this rapidly expanding geoscience education community it seems timely and appropriate to introduce technical sessions devoted specifically to the growing field of research into Geocognition or the process of acquiring knowledge about the earth. Geocognition encompasses all aspects and environments of student learning including the classroom, laboratory, field, electronic and virtual, formal and informal settings. This particular session will focus on empirical, data-based research into student learning in the classroom and electronically (e.g. distance learning, e-learning, VLEs) as a complement to the proposed session on experiential learning which looks at field and laboratory work.

I look forward to seeing you in Houston!

Helen

Dr Helen King NTF FSEDA

Helen King Consultancy

Personal & Professional Development in Higher Education

http://www.helenkingconsultancy.com

Tel: (001) 703 505 3358