Hi Scott,

Oops, I just sent you an email, then as I got farther down the email I'm
catching up on and I found this one....I check out the demongraphics and
questionnaire online.....

--Dave

At 11:17 AM 2/6/2008, you wrote:
>Dear Colleagues:
>
>Many of you received an email soliciting comments to and participation in
>our research project that will look at how plate tectonics figures are
>interpreted by students. (The original email is provided, below.) Two
>issues have been brought to our attention regarding our initial request
>for your assistance:
>
>1) I've received a few inquires asking for clarifications regarding who
>can participate in this phase of the project. For example, can high school
>students, university students, or international students participate? We
>are unable to include any participants other than those currently approved
>in our Institutional Review Board (IRB) application. That is, at this
>stage, we can only include adult students at our campus and professionals
>in the community (such as anyone on the GEOED-RESEARCH mailing list). We
>are planning to broaden our scope to include national and international
>students during the next phase.
>
>2) The attachments to the original email caused it to be kicked back from
>some people's in-boxes - I apologize for sending such a large attachment.
>The questionnaires and demographic survey are now available on-line. They
>can be downloaded from Julie Libarkin's web page:
><http://www.msu.edu/~libarkin/>http://www.msu.edu/~libarkin/. Please send
>me an email if you have any questions.
>
>Thanks for all of the early interest!
>
>Sincerely,
>
>Scott
>

>original email -
>
>Dear Colleague:
>
>We are interested in studying how well plate tectonic figures commonly
>used in geology courses communicate the main concepts of plate tectonics
>to novices. We would like to investigate if students can identify where
>melting occurs, appreciate the pseudo-steady-state conditions inherent to
>many plate tectonic illustrations, and reason through how the image would
>look in the past and in the future. We will compare responses of
>non-majors who have been exposed to the theory of plate tectonics, Earth
>Science majors, graduate students, college faculty, high school teachers,
>and other experts along an expert - novice continuum.
>
>To help us validate our questionnaire, we are sending this email to ask
>for reviews and comments as to the appropriateness and effectiveness of
>our questions at addressing student understanding. We are also looking for
>college faculty, high school teachers, or other experts who would be
>interested in completing the questionnaires as participants in our study.
>
>All comments can be emailed to <mailto:[log in to unmask]>[log in to unmask]
>
>If you would like to participate in the study, please print out and
>complete the demographic survey and one of the three questionnaires. You
>will need to mail your completed questionnaire and survey to Scott Clark at:
>
>Scott Clark
>206 Natural Sciences Bldg.
> [...]

David L. Kimbrough, PhD RG
Undergraduate Advisior
Department of Geological Sciences
5500 Campanile Drive
San Diego State University, San Diego CA 92182-1020
phone: (619) 594-1385,   fax: (619) 594-4372
[log in to unmask]   http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/~dkimbrou/