From: MSU Network Administrators Group [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of David McFarlane
Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2008 3:25 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MSUNAG] Does the U have a disposal program for old backup
tapes?

Don,

>I happen to know the answer for hard drives. Drives that the staff at
>Surplus can't securely wipe - for whatever reason - go to a company
that
>shreds them.

Just to satisfy my curiosity...  What exactly, in concrete terms,
does "shred" mean here?  I have had trouble with that in the past,
since that term has both figurative and literal senses.

Thanks,
-- dkm

---
David McFarlane, Systems Designer
Dept. Psychology, Michigan State University
[log in to unmask]    www.msu.edu/~mcfarla9
Voice: (517) 353-0799    Fax: (517) 353-1652