From: Tom Rockwell [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2008 3:23 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MSUNAG] How Does MSU Pay for Bandwidth?

My understanding of modern networks is that to first approximation, the
bandwidth is free and what costs money is actually making and
maintaining the connections.  All the unused bandwidth is wasted in the
same sense that unused CPU cycles are a wasted resource.  So, it is
wasteful to _not_ have that Internet radio on ;-)

Seriously, if you are listening to Michigan Radio, the stream is coming
off servers at U-M and our connection to them goes across fiber that is
partly owned by MSU.  Pretty sure there are no per bit fees there, just
the fees to make and keep the connection.

There probably are fees involved when traffic goes from Merit to
commercial networks, don't know how those would be structured.

-Tom