NAGgers:

We have several users who listen to Internet radio on their campus
workstations.  Often, they'll let it play all day, even if they are not at
their desks.  This has bothered me because I am under the impression that
MSU pays for our bandwidth per bit used and not with an all-you-can-eat
subscription basis, like we do at home (DSL, cable).  If so, leaving the
radio on when not listening would be akin to leaving the refrigerator door
open while you're at work-just watch that meter go!.  How does MSU pay for
bandwidth, and is there a policy or recommendation against "leaving the
refrigerator door open"?  I realize this brings up a whole can of worms,
like our computers being used as Skype master nodes, peer-to-peer file
sharing, academic freedom, etc., and it is not my intention to rouse a
discussion on this quagmire, I'm just hoping to learn how we are charged for
bandwidth so that we can police ourselves better.

Thanks

Brian Hoort