Dear Colleagues,

Let us first apologize if you are getting this message more than once – we want to reach as many folks as we can, so it is going to more than one listserv.  Also, please feel free to forward it to others who might be interested.

We are writing to ask for your input on our NSF-funded project building web modules designed to help students learn the mathematics that they need for introductory geosciences.  To make these modules useful in a wide variety of geoscience courses, we are asking you to take a 1-2 minute web survey (http://serc.carleton.edu/mathyouneed/MYNSurvey2.html).  You will simply be asked for your name and e-mail and to select mathematical concepts that are important in your introductory course.  Your selections will help us to prioritize the pages that are most useful to the largest number of instructors.

You can also help us with this project by letting us know whether you would be willing to test these modules in your courses.  At the bottom of the survey, there is a place where you can volunteer to help (although there is absolutely no obligation to do so, even if you select "yes" today).

To date, our project, The Math You Need, When You Need It, contains 5 modules (unit conversions, trigonometry, rearranging equations, density and the hypsometric curve).   If you are interested in seeing what the modules look like (or reading a little bit about the goals of our project), please visit http://serc.carleton.edu/mathyouneed/ and utilize the menus on the left.  Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions or concerns.

If possible, we ask that you fill out the survey before March 1 so that we have time to work on those modules that will be most useful to you.

Thank you in advance for your help with this project.

Best wishes,

Jen Wenner                                                    Eric Baer
([log in to unmask])                                  ([log in to unmask])
Geology Department                                     Geology Program
Univ. of Wisconsin Oshkosh                         Highline Community College

_______________________

Jennifer M. Wenner
Associate Professor
On Sabbatical AY 2007-2008