Hi Buffy,

For this grade level I would recommend a series of books developed by
the American Geological Institute in association with It's About Time,
and  EarthComm http://www.its-about-time.com/index.html

  The curriculum is inquiry-based, and makes a strong connection
between the science content learned in the classroom and real-world
applications. At this grade level the stronger connection between what
they are learning in school and how it is connected to their own
lives, the more likely they will be interested in learning about
science.

Good luck!
-Julie

Dr. Julie Monet
Assistant Professor / MiST Program Director
Department of Geological and Environmental Sciences, Rm. 224
California State University, Chico
Chico, CA 95929-0205

Tel: 530.898.3460
http://scied.csuchico.edu/