Another online resource is the Earth Exploration Toolbook, at
http://serc.carleton.edu/eet/index.html

 From the front page:
"The Earth Exploration Toolbook is a collection of computer-based
Earth science activities. Each activity, or chapter, introduces one
or more data sets and an analysis tool that enables users to explore
some aspect of the Earth system.
"Step-by-step instructions in each chapter walk users through an
example-a case study in which they access data and use analysis tools
to explore issues or concepts in Earth system science."

Carol Ormand