It's been my experience, in the labs I've helped with, that they tend to be using systems that are easily close to 10 years old or older.  One has DOS software from 1991 to run their microscopes, company went out of business and no one has written a new version of anything to control the scopes.  Another  package is a robot to do aliquoting of specimens coming into the lab, running on a 1989 CompuAdd system and resides on a 42MB Western Digital hard disk run by DOS 3.3!

However, I do agree where Timo in that there is a need "to consider modernizing your current framework to a more robust and compatible base".  With both of these systems, since the hardware is very aged and could fail at anytime, I'm moving them into virtual machines that should allow the systems to continue to function, regardless of the current hardware they are running on and be easily moved to another system as the virtual machine is a "compatible base" for the each system running the virtual software.

Just my approach.

-t