Email addresses associated with an AD user are not email addresses where
mail will be sent to, it is an address that incoming mail will be
matched against for delivery to the associated mailbox.

If you had an smtp email address of [log in to unmask] associated
with your user account and a message somehow managed to arrive at your
mail server for that address, then it would end up in your exchange
mailbox.

Setting it as the primary address only means that outgoing messages sent
from that user will have that address as the originator. So if you set
the above address as primary on your account, when people respond to
your message it would go to [log in to unmask] and end up at
microsoft's email servers!

So if your internal users send messages and her @msu.edu is under her AD
account at all, then the message will get delivered to that mailbox even
though your mail server isn't the one handling mail for @msu.edu
addresses.

Delete that smtp address from her AD account and all should be good in
the world.

-Jeff