From: John Resotko [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, December 14, 2007 9:38 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MSUNAG] Collaboration Option "D" - Other

Thanks for that disclaimer, Ed.  That also explains why it hasn't be
promoted as an officially supported tool.  Still, for those willing to
try it, that leads me to my next question.... what client do you
recommend?

I've been looking at chat consolidation clients, such as the free
version of Trillian, as well as Pidgin, so I can also keep tabs on more
than one messenger account.  For those unfamiliar with these tools, they
are basically chat clients that support multiple vendor chat protocols,
such as AIM, Yahoo Messenger, MSN, all at the same time in a single
client software.  I have enough running on my PC that don't want the
overhead of multiple chat clients.

I was wondering what people are using for chat clients, if you are
using a consolidated client like the two I mention, and the pros and
cons you've seen using them.  Thanks!

John A. Resotko
Head of Systems Administration
Michigan State University College of Law
208 Law College Building
East Lansing, MI  48824-1300
email: [log in to unmask]
Phone: 517-432-6836
Fax: 517-432-6861

Current Chairperson of the
MSU Network Communications Community

>>> Ed Symanzik <[log in to unmask]> 12/14/2007 9:21 AM >>>
Nicholas,

Perhaps that is where the confusion lies.  IRC is not being promoted
for
official or even reliable, person-to-person communication.  Rather, we
use it
the same way you use efnet, to contact a group where there is a
critical mass of
technical people such that someone may have an answer and a discussion
may
ensue.  It has more of a conversational feel than you get in a forum or
mailing
list.

It also works well as an IT watercooler.

http://irc.acns.msu.edu/

--
Ed Symanzik